Please remember that any photos, images or text on this blog remain my property, but if you wish to use any that you see, feel free to contact me for permission. Thank you for respecting my request and enjoy your visit.......Joy

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A little bit of experimentation--

This weekend I did a little bit of experimentation.  I have dabbled a bit here and there with different surface elements and backgrounds for some time, but today decided to get the paints out.  In this first photo I originally started the painting in the top half when I spent some time with my friend Jeann.  Today I decided I needed to finish this piece, so added more yellow, then red and then purple.  I used acrylic paints mixed with a small dab of textile medium.  Quite like the way the colours have turned out, not sure what will happen next, but am thinking of using it as a background for a collage using sheers and tissue papers etc.

The following is what the experimentation was all about.  Reading through some of my many many books I found an article on 'sun printing'.  Today was the perfect day - plenty of Aussie sun, but not too hot as to dry the paint too quickly and little or no wind.  In this first photo you can see how I placed the leaves and anchored them down with small stones - they need to be as flat as possible so that they take more precisely.

The second shot is how it turned out.  The right side of the material I dampened first and then splashed over some acrylic paint diluted with medium.  The same mixture of paint was used on the left side, but I didn't dampen it before painting.  You can see the difference in the two backgrounds.  The dampened side is more even and lighter than the left.  Not sure which one I like best.  Should have used the same type of leaves on both sides then I could compare them better.  I'm learning and enjoying the process. 

Again not sure what will happen with this piece, but I'm thinking of cutting it in half and doing some free-motion stitching on one half and maybe collaging with the other half.  When it has dried completely and cured I may even add some more colour and definition to the leaves.

The whole process didn't take a lot of my time, just waiting for the sun to do it's bit.

Take care and enjoy the upcoming festivities.


Jensters said...

Wow you have been busy and both pieces have come out wonderful, cant wait to see what they finish up as.

Gina E. said...

Hi Joy, I think I have the same book! I'm planning to have a go at 'sun painting' one day, so I was interested to see what you came up with - lovely!
I've also dabbled with painting on fabric, and I've enrolled in our Guild's summer school next month, to learn how to paint a landscape on fabric, then embellish it with needlework.
Sounds like a lot of fun!
Have a great Christmas.