Please remember that any photos, images or text on this blog remain my property, but if you wish to use any that you see, feel free to contact me for permission. Thank you for respecting my request and enjoy your visit.......Joy

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Getting very excited!!! - USA here I come

In October this year I am winging myself across that big blue pond between us and the USA for 3 weeks travelling around a small part of the country, but mainly to visit the Houston Quilt Festival. Last night I downloaded the full catalogue - wow 83 pages - can you believe that! With over 365 hands-on classes and numerous workshops listed for the six days of the festival! Comparing to our shows here - it's mind boggling and I don't think I can actually envisage it yet. Going to take me awhile to get my head around the size of it all.
There is also over 20 (note 20) different exhibitions.
I have decided not to do any classes - just couldn't find anything - now I can see you thinking - what with that many she must be very very fussy - I'm not believe me - just too much to take in. What I'm going to do is take my time and make sure I don't miss a thing. I'm also hoping that I may be able to attend some of the 'on the floor demonstrations and workshops' that you don't book into. These are in the form of each teacher/artist talks for about 15 mins and has some of their work on display. But I also think that by the time I go up and down all the aisles my brain might be just a tad overloaded!
There is one thing I noticed when reading the catalogue for the upteenth time - they have an actual Festival Quilting Bee - organised by one of the local guilds. This is a definite on my list.
Stay tuned for more updates - will post titbits as I find out more.

2 comments:

sheilasanderson said...

Lucky devil, I was there last year.......fabulous..take lots of $$$$$$$$$, my main case on way back weighed 31k!!!!!

Gina E. said...

It sounds absolutely fantastic, Joy! Australia has a long way to go before we catch up with the Americans and their super-shows, but I guess having a population 10+ times the size of ours makes a difference.
I can understand why you haven't booked into any workshops - I'd be the same. Just happy to wander around and take it all in.